fbpx

Penang’s Covid-19 surge due to clusters in construction, manufacturing sectors

GEORGE TOWN: Penang has been recording an increasing number of positive Covid-19 cases since last week, following the emergence of new clusters.

Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said the new clusters involve the manufacturing and construction sectors.

“I received reports from the state Health Department that for the fifth week (Jan 31 to Feb 6), the state Crisis Preparedness and Response Centre (CPRC) had received a total of 912 positive Covid-19 cases.

“Of the total, 624 cases, or 68.4 per cent, involved citizens, while the remaining 288 cases (31.6 per cent) were non-citizens,” he said today.

Chow said the breakdown of cases include the Mayang cluster (194), Beringin cluster (102), Tapak Bina Valdor cluster (75), Penjara Seberang Prai (15), workplace screening (206), close contact screening (172) and the remaining 148 cases were from other screenings.

Data from the Health Ministry until Feb 7 showed that in this third wave of the Covid-19 pandemic, a total of 472 clusters involve workplaces, compared to the second wave with only 25 clusters.

For the third wave, clusters involving manufacturing top the list of highest cases, followed by the services and construction sectors.

“As such, apart from the increase in enforcement without compromise, the Covid-19 screening process should also be further enhanced,” he added.

Chow said a total of 27 Covid-19 Assessment Centres (CAC) have been created in all five districts of the state, including drive-thru services.

Meanwhile, Chow thanked the National Disaster Management Agency (Nadma) for approving RM2 million for the setting up of the low-risk Covid-19 centre at the Mara Excellence Centre in Jawi.

Source: New Straits Times

Share:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Read more

Related Posts

Petanda Verstappen bersara?

London: Ayah Max Verstappen berkata, anaknya mungkin bersara daripada Formula Satu (F1) selepas dia berjaya ‘mencapai segalanya’ setakat ini. Pelumba Belanda itu mengharungi musim cemerlang

Read More »